Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sometimes You Need to Be Nudged

It is simple, really. I'm moving. Again. I don't know where yet. I find myself to be, once again, the transient single girl in her not-so-early twenties.


I found out on Sunday night that I had to be out of my apartment by the end of the month. The landlady's daughter has gone bankrupt and has to move back into the basement. Landlady felt terrible. She apologized profusely and admitted to crying half the night she felt so awful about it. But her daughter has a 3-year-old and is expecting the next in October so what's a woman to do?

The roommate and I took it swimmingly considering the shock. One, well, we sort of expected it to end this way eventually. (Though, my money was on a divorce between landlady's daughter and her wanna-be rock star husband.) And, two, we've lived here over two years and during that time have often fantasized about living with natural light and decent cell phone reception and central air. But the dread of finding an apartment and packing and moving and unpacking and finding the quickest commute routes kept us rooted.

Sometimes you need to be nudged. And this was the nudge we needed. We're choosing to look at this as a blessing. A blessing with scary, stressful, sort of terrible timing as blessings go. But then, when is moving ever convenient? School starts for me next week. The roommate just started a stressful new job in a new department last month. I've been meaning to do a major sort and purge all summer, sending a million and one things to goodwill. But I hadn't bothered yet. And financially we hadn't planned for this (after all we had a dandy vacation a little more than a month ago). But this nudge is necessary.

We looked at Our Dream Apartment (ODA) last night. ODA has a newer kitchen and new carpet and fresh paint and two covered parking spots. ODA is a townhouse-style with an upstairs. ODA has a half bath more than our one bath now. ODA has central air. ODA is on the corner across from my great-grandmother's house. ODA is the first place we've looked at in this house-hunting round. I feel it in my bones: I want this apartment. Strangely, the past two spots we've lived felt right. And, for whatever reason, I think that we were intended to stay for a time in those spots. I am praying they call us this week to say they want us. It just feels right. And it would make this nudging feel so very worth it.

Keep your fingers crossed.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

That sucks you guys have to move out so quickly! Bad timing for sure. But hopefully you will get your ODA and things will work out for you. Sorry I am not there to help! :) (well kinda)

Wendy said...

Well it sounds like you guys are handling it all quite well. :) Good luck on the dream place. Let me know.

Stephanie said...

Good luck! Fingers duly crossed :)

Jen said...

Oooh, good luck. Too bad you're not moving to southern Utah. That would be wicked awesome.

Libby said...

Fingers crossed (and since I'm so talented-toes as well)! Give your unfortunate texting friend a pat on the back for me. Haven't we all done something totally stupid like that before?!

Alice said...

Nothing like a nudge to clean out "crap". I love it and feel so happy about the possibility of purging. And purging a lot of it!

Now if only I didn't have to work so much! ick!

Here's to keeping my fingers crossed for ODA. Well ODA at this stage anyway right?

Rie Pie said...

GOODNESS. You guys I'm so sorry about the stresses that come with this news. I freaking love you two. If you need any help moving/packing please let me know. I'm keeping my fingers (and legs) crossed for ODA.

Please tell me that your Great-Grandma lives semi close to the city...

Anonymous said...

I think it's great! I will pray for you guys to get the ODA or one comparable. Moving can definitely be stressful, try to give yourselves relaxation time.