Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Another Episode in Which I Realize I've Gotten Older

When I was in junior high school one of my favorite (and therefore short-lived) television dramas introduced me to what I later came to find out was a phenomenon known as "The Pretty Boy." Jared Leto's Jordan Catalano on My So-Called Life was swoon-worthy (think slightly-bad-shy-boy meets flawless olive skin). He was pretty before Robert Pattinson played Cedric Diggory, let alone that glittery Edward Cullen. He was pretty before Zac Efron got his head in the game. He was pretty at that perfect moment in life when hormones rage and there is no such thing as too much designer imposter perfume. Yes, Jared Leto stole my heart when I was 13 and at that young age I decided that there was little else better than the pretty boy. Except maybe Bonne Bell Lip Smackers. And Exclamation! perfume. And my Caboodle.

Scroll forward on my life's timeline and things have changed dramatically. I prefer chapstick to Lip Smackers. I find a subtle spritz of something scented in the morning hours to be sufficient for the day. And as I sat on my couch at 11 PM thinking how I ought to remove my derrier from its current location, I flipped from Jay Leno over to David Letterman. On one channel sat Matthew Fox, on the other, Eric Bana. Lovely gentlemen, both. And though I didn't really care what either had to say, necessarily, I couldn't help but think, "When was it, exactly, that I evolved from my preference for the pretty boy to my desire for the manly man?" Now, both of these men are pretty, I'll give them that. But my 13-year-old self would have shivered had you called them attractive, just as 13-year-old-me did when my mom informed me that Kevin Costner was, "one hot number" (by the way Mom, I agree full-heartedly). You see, these were men, not pretty boy-men, but Men-men. Men with greying temples and rough, rogue-ish facial hair and...metrosexual designer suits?  (Okay, omit that last one from your memories.)  

This realization first started happening while watching (and wasting $8.00 on) 17 Again the other weekend. Zac Efron had a certain appeal in the (lame-ish) movie--I will admit this.  But I felt wrong and dirty-old-womanish in thinking so. Legal or not, the boy is a wee BOY for crying out loud!  

Yes, it is true.  I've gotten older, more mature.  Healthy and normal, I know, this attraction to people within my designated legal age group.  I just don't really remember when, exactly, this all happened.

Somewhere along the way I've grown from liking this boyishness:



to feeling a bit hot and bothered whenever this man graces my screen:


*Oh, Javier, please grace my screen again. Penelope who?



11 comments:

Stephanie said...

I LOVED Exclamation! perfume! And I had an awesome personalized Caboodle. Those were the days... :)
There is something to be said for a manly man though. I personally adore Jeffrey Dean Morgan... *sigh*

Jen said...

Oh, Rookie. Me, too. Even Alan Rickman has a certain something for me.

silvernic said...

For the first time in a year I feel good about my graying (or is it greying?) temples! Thanks.

The Rookie said...

Stephanie, Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a creature of pure loveliness. I agree full-heartedly.

Jen, Alan is my sister's dream man.

And Nic, anything to inflate your ego further. :)

Rie Pie said...

I had a major thing for Johnathon Brandis when I was a little girl. Remember Lady Bugs??

BTW, there was nothing cooler than owning that black and white bottle of exclamation!!

Rie Pie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Libby said...

When I was in fifth grade, I had a love affair with Malibu Musk. I wore so much that my teacher sent a note home to my mom. It stated that my scent was distracting the rest of the class. So I had to tone it down to one spritz per day.

Mormon Mommy Blogs said...

Hi!
You have been nominated for the May blog spotlight! Get your peeps to vote!

~motherboard, mmb

Yamile said...

I loved this post! And funnily enough I've been pondering the same question lately, when did I start liking more manly men? Maybe since my husband started aging, and I mean, he doesn't look past thirty (which he barely did), but I agree in the weirdness of liking Zac Efron. And he's a lovely child! I think I realized I'm maturing when I thought Viggo Mortensen IS a gorgeous man, and he's my mom's age. And Hugh Jackman! Can't get lovelier than that! Good luck on MMB!

pan x 8 said...

That's funny! I prefer Carmex over Chapsticks but when did I go to daily wearing Chapstick instead of my lip gloss??? oh years are adding on and don't realize it until one of my kids say they love "Girls just wanna have fun" and it's a disney stars' version and not cindy lauper!! hehehe...;p

Faithful said...

I found your blog from MMB and I LOVE IT!!! You've got my vote sista'.