Saturday, February 23, 2008

Homage to My Hips


When I walk into a dressing room with promises on hangers dangling from my fingertips, I inevitably walk out disappointed, shamed. Its my blasted hips. My waist and shoulders may fit one size, but my hips stretch into new territory. It makes clothing shopping hurt like a sweet wound in my hollow chest. But then I remember this Lucille Clifton ditty and, promises or no, I feel a little bit better about the world.


Homage to My Hips

these hips are big hips.
they need space to
move around in.
they don't fit into little
petty places. these hips
are free hips.
they don't like to be held back.
these hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
these hips are mighty hips.
these hips are magic hips.
i have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top

~ Lucille Clifton

8 comments:

Alice said...

You go girl. Magic hips huh? That is a pretty sweet pictures I must say.

And sorry about the drama in the dressing room :).

Ashley said...

I love that poem! I know how you feel... I always come out of the dressing room disappointed. It's not my hips but everything else sucks!

Stacy said...

I totally feel your pain in the dressing room. Darn all those stinkin body parts that make me feel like Blah!! It more than just my hips, for me its my whole package!

Jen said...

Fantastic! That is just what I needed to hear, because my hips are so magnified by pregnancy right now.

Yenny said...

You go girl. I have the same problems too but I never let it make me felt down.. by the way, its a nice blog you have here. keep up writing

Loving The Chaos said...

Hips Schmips. I'm agonizing over my tummy. Do you have a good gut poems? :)

Mrs. Bennett said...

I agree with what loving the choas said - and fitting things over the chest region. I always have to buy a size bigger when I get button up shirts because of my girls.

Sephalo said...

I am so down with hips! I wish mine were bigger, GREAT picture!