Monday, June 1, 2009

Generation Gap

As it is the last "official" week of school (June 8th & 9th don't really count what with water park trips, yearbooks, and 48 hours of utter INSANITY), my students are being treated to a movie. And not just any movie, but this little gem:




I, personally, love this movie. It gets me all nostalgic and has always managed to make me giggle. I got it from the roommate on my birthday. I was certain I was, like, only the coolest English teacher ever by letting my 9th graders watch it for our Narrative Unit "final".

And do you know what they did?

"Oh NO! Not this!" (accompanied by an eye roll)

"Are you freakin' KIDDING me? I HATE this movie." (and another eye roll)

"This is SO LAME." (as a twist, the cross-eyed eye roll)

My sweet, baby-faced, scared little freshmen have officially made the transition to obnoxious "We're-no-longer-the-babies-of-the-school-we're-now-pompous-little-freshmen-hating-sophomores". I can't stand that kind of student. Almost as much as I cringe when seniors become the (equally obnoxious) "We're-no-longer-children-we're-now-pompous-and-lazy-little-about-to-graduate-and-become-'adults'" type.

What is wrong with the kids these days? Do they not appreciate culture? Do they not recognize a classic cinema masterpiece (with a tiny Fred Savage) when they see it? Teenagers!

Needless to say I generously layered on threats of the alternative (and quite possibly unwritten) final if the whining did not stop. Also needless to say (but I'm saying it nonetheless): the end of the school year could not come soon enough.

And in other job-ish news, I'm moving three and a half years worth of school CRAP (and trust me, it is a daunting and powerful quantity of CRAP) to a new classroom over the next week and a half.

Threats will probably be a theme with me this week.

10 comments:

Jen said...

I love the new cover to that, by the way. These kids have no idea how much they are underappreciating this great film.

Mrs. Bennett said...

How can anyone hate that movie? I hate whining more than anything.

Wendy said...

Anybody want a peanut?

Lisa S said...

My favorite line is when Wesley is in bed all paralyzed and faking that he's not, and the yucky prince comes in and they state all the pain they will inflict on each other. At one point Wesley calls the prince, "vomitous mass."

Rie Pie said...

Wow. I would have never imagined that the Princess Bride could be a "lame" movie. When I was in High School kids would roll their eyes at Mr. Bean or Monty Python. (Both which I loved and still love.)

Alice said...

Darn kids. They probably would have complained no matter your choice :) 3 more days, and 2 crazy days. You are almost there!

I have to admit with the risk of being hit with tomatoes, I have NEVER seen Princess Bride.

But you knew that, and you still want to be my best friend right?

silvernic said...

"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to waste yours.

Libby said...

Personally, I avoid adolescents all together. They are rude, stupid, and dress like morons. I think the world would be better off without them.

Also-I bet they secretly liked the movie (how could they not?!), but were too worried about looking hip to admit it to anyone.

Alicia said...

That's just SAD. Is Princess Bride not a beloved movie?!?! What the heck! I feel old.
There's some bloggy love waiting for ya at my blog! http://theladyisablogger.blogspot.com/

DeMo said...

Good for you! I love that movie. Crazy kids.

I found your blog from blog surfing, and totally agree with the post before this one. You caught my eye with your learn something new every day part in your profile. I am listing all the new things that I learn. They're called "Daily DeMo"s. Come visit! :)