Monday, September 3, 2007

Procrastinatus: Latin for I Don't Want To!



A lovely afternoon. The clock strikes 3. Six small and dwindling hours remain until a certain teacher readies herself for bed and the impetus of a new work week. And a certain pile of student assignments stares her down. It mocks. It laughs. It growls. It is inevitable and it knows it and it won't let her forget.

The weekend is gone. I have "the dreads" and I just don't want to. I am a procrastinator extraordinaire. I am an avoider. I avoid everything: confrontation, grading, chores, you name it. I have trouble starting tasks, I have trouble staying with tasks, I am relieved when I actually finish a task. And the task before me happens to be an overstuffed stack of grading that seems, at this point, overwhelming. I have enjoyed the past two days. I went swimming. I visited with friends and family. I hit the gym. I enjoyed church. Now my long weekend is, well, not so long anymore. And I've yet to tackle the grading. Is this diagnosable?

What about you? Do you procrastinate or does it eat you alive until it's finished? What do you procrastinate? Tell me all about it...eventually.

4 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

Laundry. I HATE IT!!! If it weren't for the fact that I only have three pair of pants that fit I would put it off indefinately.

Bec said...

Hi! Thanks for the link through :) I shall have to have a good look around!

Your procrastination sounds exactly like my sister... or me, although that more resembles the cartoon - ah the sad little life of an IT nerd (even if I am a she)

(one hint, turn the comment spam filter ON before you're found and have to get rid of a whole lot of nastiness!)

Carina said...

I procrastinate everything. I do it until I am sick with stress. I do it so that I can feel the rush of finishing 12 things by noon.

I don't want to do anything, but I feel obligated to do everything.

Alice said...

I think the better questions is what DON'T I procrastinate?

Tedious work, laundry, chores, getting out of the house on time!

The truth is, if it wasn't for the last minute I would never get anything done. I developed a horrible habit early in this life and the truth is, I will never learn. Starting late and then putting it off even later has unfortunately become my way of life.