Monday, December 20, 2010

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

In lieu of blogging, I've been up to some of the following (and please forgive the limitations of my point and shoot--yep, blaming the camera, not the photographer):


I made a gingerbread house. My first ever. From scratch. It was fun and frustrating and messy and the roof may contain a multi-grain club cracker. You'll never know. OK, the roof does have a club cracker--but the solution worked!
Next year, I'm going with the kit...or graham crackers.


I went to these kiddos' Christmas performance.
It was fabulous because THEY are fabulous!

He is kind of a rock star.


She was skipping along with the animated snowman at our favorite little (tacky) pizza place in the hometown.


And then there is this...
We went and saw the lights at Temple Square with the ward.
(Blurry, I know. But lovely nonetheless.)

I love the lights at Temple Square. But they have certainly toned it down in recent years. I remember it being a wonderland of billions of lights when I was a little girl. Every single tree was aglow. Not quite the same, anymore--but still,
one of my favorite holiday traditions.

Our new bishop was recently released as a Conference Center usher. He got us up on the Conference Center roof with his hook ups (OK, he still had his magnetized tag that worked on the elevator).
It was the best possible view. I love this photo! Thanks, Bish!


I'd like to call this one "I WAS ROBBED!"
Because I was. We had a door decorating contest at school with cash prizes and everything. The theme: Winter decor that matches your content area. What could be better than some Robert Frost action
for the English teacher's door?
Store bought decorations do not trump creativity.
That's all I'm saying.

My little 9th graders worked like gangbusters and had to deal with my neurotic, controlling self. My favorite conversation of the great door decorating day (upon discovering a clueless 9th grade boy taping masking tape in giant strips on TOP of the paper--not the little double-sided circle strips BEHIND the decor):

Me: Chayse, WHY are you taping it like that?!?
Chayse: Ummmm...
Me: You need to re-do that. It looks terrible, you can't have the tape showing! Do it like this.
(I demonstrate appropriate taping strategy.)
Chayse: Oh, huh. That makes sense. Oops!
Me: Sheesh! Who raised you?
Chayse: My dad.
Me: It shows! No sense of the aesthetic, whatsoever!

HA! Poor things! Yes, I am a control freak.


Finally, on Thursday we headed back to Temple Square. My dear Momsy scored tickets to the MoTab Christmas concert. David Archuleta was adorable as their guest. Perfect for the holidays!
I kind of love this woman!
Can't tell we're related at all, can you?
Waiting for the show to start.
(My favorite part of this photo: Allyson holding both of our Kindles--our waiting entertainment.)
The traditional "Besties" shot.
Thanks for taking our picture, usher-man.
The set was sweet!

It has been a busy few weeks. But I'm off school for two weeks,
Christmas is coming, snow is flying and I don't have to commute in it at an inhumane hour.
I LOVE this time of year!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Love the gingerbread house. Jealous of the concert. My baby brother went to the Sunday morning one yesterday. I hear it was a bug to get in!

Lildonbro said...

Awesome....all of it! The gingerbread how is so fun. I love the lights at temple square and I'm so jealous about the MoTab.

Your door should have won.

Libby said...

Several ideas come to mind...

1. There is nothing wrong with a Ginger Kit. Nothing.

2. Love the white coat. Gorgeous.

3. Yes, you were robbed.

4. I thought you were against E-Readers...