Thursday, November 4, 2010

Don't Fall Off Your Chair, But...

It is days like today that I understand why I'm single.

I have a date tomorrow night.

And, as you may have noticed, I very rarely date.

It is, at the technical level, a blind date. We've talked on the phone, he seems, well--normal.

At least so far.

But here is the thing about first dates--they are, as you probably well know, outright awful. One of my favorite things to do when going out on weekend nights with my favorite girls is to observe the first date awkwardness that others at the restaurant are enduring. I thank the powers that be that it ain't me. Because, while those poor kids are nervous and trying to impress or not send the wrong signals or not say something stupid or to ask plenty of questions and not hog the conversation, I am having a perfectly delightful, relaxed time.

Behold, Awkwardness Exhibit A:


Awkwardness Exhibit B:


But tomorrow night, it will be me in the awkward seat. Me sitting beside a stranger, watching a high school football game. Me thinking, "Did I really just say that?" Me trying to pretend like I know anything about football.

It is moments like this that I remember the
exact reason I'm single.

The truth is, I really hate to date.

This must be why I'm holding out for
Javier.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

O-M-G!!! I better get a play-by-play on Saturday. :) Have fun.

Anonymous said...

I hate to date too. I don't think anyone actually enjoys it until they're "dating" dating someone and don't have to worry about "Ah! My hair! My zit! What did I just say? Does he like me?" etc. Good luck!

Mrs. Bennett said...

Dating is THE WORST. I was really bad at it, which is probably why I ended up marring someone I already knew! At least you are smart, beautiful and have interesting things to say. That has to help. :)

Libby said...

Eeeeew! Dating is the pits. My memories include-awkward conversations, upset stomach (the nicest way to put it), upset stomach, trying so hard not to die from upset stomach, trying not to eat faster than my date, upset stomach. Yuck all around.

I'll send some "no upset stomach" vibes your way.

Jen said...

Dear Rookie,

You are so awesome. I love your guts and wish you the best during this trying time. I believe in you.

Jen

Lildonbro said...

Good luck!!

I personally hate dating too. But in my life it has been the blind dates that turn out best (NOT that I go out on more than one date with them, but I have a lot of fun). I think it's because I have low expectations for them and so I am always surprised by how "well" they turn out...
Just be yourself and don't worry about saying the right thing. If you want them to like you for you then start right away showing YOU. :)
I'm way excited for you and hope to read a post about the date soon.

wendy said...

HI....me just visiting you from a long time ago. found you again.
Dating sucks. I am so glad I am not in that mix anymore.

but hang in there, I really do hope you have a great time.
you'll have to let us all know.

Lisa S said...

I hope you were able to relax and have a nice time.