Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Maiden Voyage

Let's be honest. I don't know what, exactly, one writes on a blog. Do I reveal my deepest darkest secrets? Do I post a stream-of-consciousness rambling? Do I divide into topics and subtopics and sub-subtopics? I've never blogged before. I'm clueless. I hope I keep this up. Maybe it's a great way to journal? Maybe not. What I do know--my opinion on the blog is about to change, most decidedly.

In the past I've thought blogs were, well, kind of strange, kind of narcissistic. Maybe a little entertaining. As a means of keeping up with friends and loved ones, I think this is an ideal method. Much more aesthetically pleasing than the email--more photos, more info, more decorative, more fun. But, quite frankly, when someone views the blog as a place to include every little mundane detail of their life...well, curiosity gets the best of me and I read for a minute but then boredom takes over. Truth be told, I don't want to spend my time reading other people's blogs. Now, I read. I actually enjoy reading quite a bit. I read other people's books because they are well-written and have been through an intense editing process. The blog, on the other hand, is a place for grammatical errors, type-o's, and nonsensical sentences. The blog is a place where rambling is the norm. The English teacher in me is afraid of this. Even though I myself make mistakes. Heck, that's writing. But I like to edit what I write. Even more of my worry: I don't want to ramble on about what you don't care to read.

So here is my great hypocrisy--I've got to swallow my former beliefs on blogging because I want to try this myself. I, "B.," am creating my first ever blog. Call me narcissistic. I'm still gonna try it. So, here goes nothin'. I hope you enjoy. Or not.

-B.

1 comment:

Blackeyedsue said...

You narcissist you! I will come back often if you overlook my poor grammer and spelling.

Welcome to blogging. You'll love it here!